GTA Maxima
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3rd gen Commemorative

+2
renman
Will
6 posters

Go down

3rd gen Commemorative Empty 3rd gen Commemorative

Post by Will Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:09 am

It was one year ago last year that my old 3rd gen met an untimely and unlikely demise over the Canada Day long weekend. The $400 tow home, plus the hours of literal blood, sweat - and some tears trying to valiantly fix the problem resulted in the catastrophic conclusion that something terribly bad had happened, and that she wasn't worth being saved. It was a shock, because I was in Newmarket, and then the engine just started stumbling and lost power. I have always been meticolous with my maintenance, but luckily I made it to my destination and she didn't die on the road. I recall I had just performed a synthetic oil change and pumped $60 of premium fuel, and had plans to do more mods like the Head-Up display that summer. At least she took her last ride in fine fluids, with a full tank.

I replaced the fuel injectors thinking that was the problem, as well as the starter motor. My heart sank when I started the car and it was just freewheeling. Of course a new engine could have been put in, but there was too much rust. What I think happened was the tow truck guy had a hand in killing the car too, since we had to keep starting it and getting it to run so I could drive up the ramp on the flat bed. The flex plate snapped, but really, I think the rough running was caused by the front exhaust manifold leak that got too big, and the car was running way too rich to stay smooth. By that point, it was just time to move on, to get something newer for a change. But I still remember as a grade 12 student walking to school every morning, how the whole way to school everyday, I would constantly think about the 3rd gen Nissan Maxima all the time, envisioning the mods I would do to it, making it unique my way, driving it hard, and of course, owning one. Everything I dreamt about came to fruition over the eight years I owned it. I wanted leather, I did it. I wanted 4th gen SE rims, I got a set. I wanted KYB/Eibach suspension, it was done in her later years, plus more.

The best memories that galvanized my love for the car were the times when I was down and really needed her to come through. As a starving University student who had just enough money each week to fill the tank in the early 2000s, when I needed her to be reliable and bulletproof to take me from point A to B without fuss, she came through. When I had dates, I called on the car to not ever break down. She came through. She has never ever needed a second crank to start in winter, not even in her 14th Canadian winter. One time when the battery was on its last legs, I beseeched her to make it home from Guelph to Scarborough without dying, and that I would get her a new battery right away. She came through. During lean times when school, unrequited love, and strained personal relations held me down, she was there for me to just get behind the wheel to experience the freedom of speed, torque, and to have the ability to be pensive while cruising on the highway. When I had graduated University and was jobless for 6 months, she came through in taking me to fruitless (and fruitful) job interviews.

Here are some photos to remember. Your first car is always the one you remember best, but then again, who keeps cars for 8 years these days anyway? I believe if the car kept running good, I'd still be driving it right now, but I am still happy with my 2003:

3rd gen Commemorative Side
3rd gen Commemorative Rrleft
3rd gen Commemorative Rear
3rd gen Commemorative Front
3rd gen Commemorative Side

I had 2 Interior designs too that I liked to switch around:

3rd gen Commemorative Cockpit
3rd gen Commemorative Rosewood

Will

Number of posts : 88
Registration date : 2008-03-21

http://www.openroadwellness.com

Back to top Go down

3rd gen Commemorative Empty Re: 3rd gen Commemorative

Post by renman Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:18 am

Will, you are a true enthusiast. If only all of us took care of our cars as you did yours.

Nice tribute. When's the next time we're going to see you out?
renman
renman

Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2008-03-19

Back to top Go down

Post by ecrash Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:00 pm

That was an excellent tribute. I don't think anyone could have said it better Crying or Very sad

ecrash

Number of posts : 127
Registration date : 2008-06-02

Back to top Go down

Post by skidz88 Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:43 pm

That's awesome Will. One day I hope I can have such memories about my car. The bond between a person and their car can be truly special.

skidz88

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2008-03-24

Back to top Go down

Post by maximanigel Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:09 pm

great story bro. gone but never forgotten. its like taking care of a kid.

maximanigel

Number of posts : 59
Registration date : 2008-03-30

Back to top Go down

Post by MarkhamMax Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:00 pm

Aye, that there bitch can brake yer heart, but a fine bitch be she. Arrr. pirat
MarkhamMax
MarkhamMax
Admin

Number of posts : 284
Registration date : 2008-03-18