GTA Maxima
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Spring Maintenance

+9
03maximase
ecrash
maximanigel
skidz88
LLZuB
Ghost
knight_yyz
Mclovin
Will
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Spring Maintenance Empty Spring Maintenance

Post by Will Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:57 pm

Other than putting new wheels back on, any spring maintenance you guys plan to do?

I just got my brakes serviced (re-lube caliper pins, clean brake dust) and brake fluid bled and flushed this morning at my mechanic's place, and with the sunny weather, I feel good. I highly recommend a brake fluid flush, just to get some fresh stuff in there that can withstand heat better, and suck out the old dirty stuff. I was gonna put my wheels on today, but it's gonna rain tomorrow, so since I polished and waxed my wheels for the upcoming summer season last week, I didn't want rain to dirty them the next day.

Will

Number of posts : 88
Registration date : 2008-03-21

http://www.openroadwellness.com

Back to top Go down

Spring Maintenance Empty Re: Spring Maintenance

Post by Mclovin Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:38 pm

Did the brake pedal feel stiffer after the flush? ..or do u do this as a preventative maintenance

Mclovin

Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2008-06-06

Back to top Go down

Post by knight_yyz Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:58 pm

OMG my list is so long... but in no particular order

Murano windshield washer upgrade
Fuel Filter Replacement
Clay bar. polish, seal and wax
Complete my interior LED's
Camber bolts and realignment
Rear brake spoiler light mod
Front Grill Mod (shaved)
Vias Delete
G35 Injector Upgrade
BBMAF upgrade
Tune
Condition Leather
New resonator with extended secondary o2's
Short Height shifter project
Install relay for HID fogs
Big 3 ground upgrade
Polish headlights
Install new engine cover and splash shields
Bypass the safety feature on my AVIC D3 and relocate the ipod
Seafoam and Oil change
1 step colder plugs
Saggy spare tire cover upgrade
Power steering flush

That's just off the top of my head. I've been making a list at work. I know I missed afew things

Last edited by knight_yyz on Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

knight_yyz

Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2008-03-19

Back to top Go down

Post by knight_yyz Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:08 pm

Got one thing done today. Finally got around to installing the 6th gen engine cover. Thanks again to Nigel for helping me out with the stickers.

Spring Maintenance 100_0194

knight_yyz

Back to top Go down

Post by Will Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:28 pm

Hello Raymond, that's a good list, lots of labour there. Is the 6th gen engine cover a direct bolt-on?

I was thinking maybe you, myself and Ghost should meet up together and do our fuel filters one sunny morning or afternoon. It's very necessary to replace this part. Why the hell does Nissan call it a non-serviceable part when clearly it's a filter that needs to be replaced? Maybe it's a design to kill fuel pumps so they can get a chokehold on customers' wallets in the car's 7th to 10th years. All us 5.5 gen guys need to replace ours badly.

Mclovin wrote:Did the brake pedal feel stiffer after the flush? ..or do u do this as a preventative maintenance

Hey there, the brakes felt no different afterward at all. My fluid was still pretty clean coming out, but it's all preventive maintenance and my car is over 6 years old, so the clean fluid is surely welcome. It's not something you have to do at all, but old brake fluid collects moisture which reduces its boiling point, so it never hurts. Find a good mechanic who will accept cash, or do the work yourself, and car repairs will never be expensive.

Will

Back to top Go down

Post by Ghost Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:07 pm

My list does contain some of what is already on Rays list.
- seaform treatment which I have never done so that should be interesting
- of course followed with a fresh oil change
- never even gave a thought to changing the brake fluid, so that one needs to go the list.
- as well so does changing the power steering fluid another one that doesn't normally get your attention until there is a problem.
- as you said said Will the fuel filter probably has never been changed so there's another one for the list
- would like to upgrade my grounding kit wires to 4gauge
- change the cabin filter, being a smoker and driving the car now for a year and half, pretty sure that one could use a change.
- once I get around to installing the spring and struts probably get my mechanic to clean and check on the brake pads and calipers while things are all apart.
- finish up the LED's in the engine bay and trunk area.

and of course still have to finish up on the mods that were for this spring
- finish installing the smoked side markers
- getting over to Ray's to complete the ES MM bushing install
- mount my rear valiance

Ray that engine cover does look great much better than the blue one from before really does finish up the engine bay

Last edited by Ghost on Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ghost
Ghost

Number of posts : 207
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post by knight_yyz Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:20 pm

Yes it's a direct fit, no mods needed for the 6th gen cover.

Sounds like a good plan to do the filter. Mine is sitting in my basement/parts store LOL. Looks like a parts store anyway down here with all the parts I have lying around.

knight_yyz

Back to top Go down

Post by knight_yyz Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:21 pm

As for our brakes, I don't you can get rid of the squishy feeling, I tried synthetic fluid, SS lines and it didn't make any difference at all.

knight_yyz

Back to top Go down

Post by LLZuB Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:52 pm

i know im not a 5th gen but i started my spring maintenance

Did my front brakes 2 weekends ago (got a squeal so i gota take a look, anyone know where i should start with a high pitch squeel from my front brakes? :S sound like metal on metal when i engage the brakes once in a while)

finally got outside and installed the knock sensor in my 4th gen, and wow what a diff! car feels way better!

also got my wheels on Razz

next on the list is spark plugs and a throttle body clean and of course fuel filter change

LLZuB

Number of posts : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by Ghost Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:06 am

hey LLZuB don't know if you install shims or not or if you applied any brake squeal grease but this seems to describe what you have mentioned.

BRAKE SQUEAL

Definition: The annoying high-pitched screech that's sometimes heard when braking. A common ailment on many disc brake-equipped cars, it is caused by vibration between the brake pad and rotor. It causes no harm, but metallic scraping sounds should be investigated because it usually means the brake linings are worn down to their metal backing plates. If not replaced, the metal-to-metal contact can ruin the rotors or drums. Brake squeal can be eliminated by installing shims on the backs of brake pads, by applying anti-squeal compound or a moly-based brake grease never ordinary chassis grease) to the backs of the pads, and/or resurfacing the rotors. Applying a nondirectional swirl finish on the rotors can provided added noise suppression.
Ghost
Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by knight_yyz Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:21 am

Ok, that's weird, I posted that you should also bed the new pads but it didn't come up. Most brake pads have a break in period and you have to follow instructions to make sure they are bedded properly. Or they will squeal.

knight_yyz

Back to top Go down

Post by skidz88 Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:23 am

I'm pretty much set maintenance wise. Just a few minor things I could do.

One front sidemarker doesn't light up anymore, easy fix
Detail entire car
I suppose I could replace the fuel filter
Also due for seafoam on next oil change
Extend secondary O2s

Got lots to do in terms of mods though. I've already found a local source who'll sell me a pair of 4 piston R32 GTR calipers in great shape with rotors for $150. Throw in some pads and repaint the calipers and I'm good to go! I got lots of other mod stuff to do, just gotta figure out how to tackle it all.

skidz88

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2008-03-24

Back to top Go down

Post by knight_yyz Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:57 am

wow, that's a great price. Are they a direct fit, or do you need some brackets for that?

knight_yyz

Back to top Go down

Post by LLZuB Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:00 am

I did bed them, but i did notice that these pads didnt come with metal shims like other pads ive had in the past, hmm i guess ill take them off and add some lubricant on the back of the pads and hopefully that fixes it

thanks guys!

LLZuB

Number of posts : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by skidz88 Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:06 am

knight_yyz wrote:wow, that's a great price. Are they a direct fit, or do you need some brackets for that?

I think Vic said they are a direct fit. It's the Z32 calipers that require a bracket. I'll double check once I get them, regardless it's a great deal.

skidz88

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2008-03-24

Back to top Go down

Post by knight_yyz Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:11 am

Damn, if they are direct fit, I might be adding a mod to my list

knight_yyz

Back to top Go down

Post by maximanigel Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:07 am

I've already claybarred my car washed and waxed. My finish is soo smooth and clean now. Smile
I had to park my car on the road today because I was cleaning up my dad's van and it was funny, everyone that walked past my car was like wow, thats clean and shiney. lol
I waxed, detailed, and cleaned my rims and tires today with amor all rim and tire cleaner.
I conditioned my interior leather components and cleaned, dusted, vaccumed just about everything else. I removed some of the vents on the dash to clean some dust out.
Polished my headlights, but still need to do the clear headlight mod

I need to install my progress and illum. soon
I would like to remove my rims and clean off the rust and paint the rotors and calipers, but I'm not sure how I should go about doing that and How difficiult it is.

I need to get my shaved grill to a shop and painted.

I probably have to order some hub centric spacers from ray soon (do I need to do another alignment/balancing after I install them?)

I need Nick to help me out with fixing my audio setup properly.

And I'm 5k away from 150k so every single thing that can be maintained/changed and flushed under the hood, will be.

maximanigel

Number of posts : 59
Registration date : 2008-03-30

Back to top Go down

Post by knight_yyz Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:43 am

you don't need an alignment after spacers, but you will after the shock/spring install. Painting the rotors is pretty easy, getting the rust and brake dust off can be a pain.

Hey Faisal I was reading on the org that the r32 calipers are an upgrade for the Z32. And they are a direct fit on the z32. So you will need some kind of bracket. And you will need a different rotor than the z32 kit.
Most people use the z32 kit because you can easily get pads and rotors at the dealership. The skyline pads can be hard to find and more expensive.

knight_yyz

Back to top Go down

Post by Mclovin Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:48 am

maximanigel wrote:I've already claybarred my car washed and waxed. My finish is soo smooth and clean now. Smile
I had to park my car on the road today because I was cleaning up my dad's van and it was funny, everyone that walked past my car was like wow, thats clean and shiney. lol
I waxed, detailed, and cleaned my rims and tires today with amor all rim and tire cleaner.
I conditioned my interior leather components and cleaned, dusted, vaccumed just about everything else. I removed some of the vents on the dash to clean some dust out.
Polished my headlights, but still need to do the clear headlight mod

I need to install my progress and illum. soon
I would like to remove my rims and clean off the rust and paint the rotors and calipers, but I'm not sure how I should go about doing that and How difficiult it is.

I need to get my shaved grill to a shop and painted.

I probably have to order some hub centric spacers from ray soon (do I need to do another alignment/balancing after I install them?)

I need Nick to help me out with fixing my audio setup properly.

And I'm 5k away from 150k so every single thing that can be maintained/changed and flushed under the hood, will be.

When i painted my calipers, i never took the calipers off. What i did was, i covered the rotor with newspapers and all all suspension components and just sprayed them down.

Mclovin

Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2008-06-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Will Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:14 am

maximanigel wrote:I've already claybarred my car washed and waxed. My finish is soo smooth and clean now. Smile

That's a great feeling, but damn, it started raining around 3am in Halton and it's still going on now. At least the clay bar is done and over with, and you have clean paint going into the new season. Did you use a steam cleaner for the inside carpets? I'm thinking about investing in one (I don't have any salt stains at all; I put some vinyl covering under my winter floor mats to protect the carpet).

Will

Back to top Go down

Post by Will Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:05 pm

Hey Knight, so for the fuel filters, it's the following part numbers, yes?

Filter: 16400-2Y505
O-Ring or Seal or Whatever: 17342-01A00

Last edited by Will on Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

Will

Back to top Go down

Post by knight_yyz Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:13 pm

Yes that is the number on the box I have

knight_yyz

Back to top Go down

Post by ecrash Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:18 pm

I'm guessing changing the fuel filter on a 5th gen is pretty much the same as the 5.5 gen?

ecrash

Number of posts : 127
Registration date : 2008-06-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Ghost Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:04 pm

Will wrote:Hey Knight, so for the fuel filters, it's the following part numbers, yes?

Filter: 16400-2Y505
O-Ring or Seal or Whatever: 17342-01A00

It's time to pay Dan a visit. I've known him before you joined TMEC; don't kill our secret! Smile

What kind of pricing Will can you let me know?
Ghost
Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by knight_yyz Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:21 pm

I can email him

knight_yyz

Back to top Go down