GTA Maxima
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Do you have any 6th Gen love?

+10
Mikesima
Nathan
jbeau
03maximase
knight_yyz
Will
Hossmaxima
92RustBucket
renman
MarkhamMax
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Do you have any 6th Gen love? Empty Do you have any 6th Gen love?

Post by MarkhamMax Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:50 am

I think like a lot of longtime Maxima enthusiasts, I was dismayed to say the least when the 6th gen came out.

Has it grown on you at all since it debuted in 2004? Do you see them pass you by occasionally and think "I kind of like it actually - it is a Maxima after all..."

I have.

While nothing will ever unseat my 3rd gen affection, as I begin to look for more stable alternatives for my little family I see a lot of merit in the 6th gen.
For one, it offers 'bang for the buck value' that is hard to compete with. It offers all the creature comforts one could want and I can't think of a car in its class that can match it in those terms. The 5th gen is unbeatable for the same reason.
A 6th gen can be had for almost the same as a 5th gen these days - and it's newer.
I like the 5th gen a lot. I helped my brother purchase his 6MT 2k3 and have driven it many times. But there's something to be said about the 'cache'. There's fewer 6th gens on the road, and even fewer 'modded'. I like the appeal of that.

and then another train of thought creeps in... if a 5th gen can be had for say $10k, and a 6th gen for $13k, why not just throw caution to the wind and grab a G35 for $16k? And over the course of a 5 yr loan, the monthly pinch isn't huge between them.

I've been trying to figure out why the G35 has quite a poor resale value. I'm always surprised to see some of the prices. I can only imagine that the same thing that people bemoan of the Maxima "It's not RWD!!!" is the same reason people have ditched their G35's -- they can't HANDLE the RWD. Especially if you live in a climate where it snows.
I learned to drive on a RWD, so it doesn't put me off of getting one - though I haven't driven one in snow for many years.

... but back to the question at hand, how does the 6th gen sit with you these days?
MarkhamMax
MarkhamMax
Admin

Number of posts : 284
Registration date : 2008-03-18

http://gtamaxima.com

Back to top Go down

Do you have any 6th Gen love? Empty Re: Do you have any 6th Gen love?

Post by renman Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:29 am

While I don't mind the 6th gen, I wouldn't buy one now. I'd prefer a G35. Nothing against the sixth gen, but I prefer the lines of the G to the sixth gen.
renman
renman

Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2008-03-19

Back to top Go down

Post by MarkhamMax Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:39 am

Yeah I feel the same regarding looks, but what about the rest of the considerations when buying a car?
MarkhamMax
MarkhamMax
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 92RustBucket Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:59 am

If you had the cash, definitely go with G35.
6th gens are alright. They aren't as bad in person and the pictures make them out to be. However, the interior isn't all that great itself, imho.
G35 are very common, so getting a Maxima might make you more unique, but theres probably a reason why G35s are so common, cuz they f*in rock man.
Hold out and get yourself a G37 Very Happy

92RustBucket

Number of posts : 139

Back to top Go down

Post by Hossmaxima Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:01 pm

Hey I was also looking for a 6th Gen, but I had a hard time finding a six speed. I have always wanted a G35 so I thought, hey why not spend the extra couple grand and buy the G, but you do have to put up with the RWD in the winter

Hossmaxima

Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2008-03-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Will Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:57 pm

Truth be told, I've been trying to like the 6th gen whilst keeping you in mind and trying to figure out what the hell it is about that car that appeals to you so much. I prefer the 2004 and 2005 grille with the emblem attached to the chrome plate down the middle, the panoramic sunroof (that apparently spontaneously explodes!), and really like the twin dual-tipped mufflers, but I don't find it exciting at all actually, and it quite looks like a glorified peanut! If I had the funds, I'd always buy Maximas - but as a winter car for the good performance, the exclusively unbelievable value as you alluded to, and the gem that is the heated steering wheel.

Over the past few years in my role as a leader in the corporate world and seeing how large my Executives and other rich people live, anything Nissan has no cachet at all, not even a Murano or a Maxima, but of course we know these are better bang for the buck that the FX cars and the I35s of yesteryear. For cachet, the minimum requirements would have to be an Infiniti or an Acura, and even then, Lexus and the German competition outclass both those nameplates for prestige. I think since you are a driving enthusiast, a G35 is better for the 6-sp and RWD combination. Imagine pulling into auditions in a shiny black G with staggered gunmetal wheels (and knowing you, wrapped in Wanli or Nankang tires Wink), and making heads turn....it's a great feeling. I think the low re-sale value has a lot to do with the new generation that came out, that the RWD scares some people away, and the fact that an Altima or Maxima can be had with the same performance (RWD and transmissions not considered) and degree of luxury for much much less.

I don't feel my 5.5 gen has enough cachet to win a rat race with some other higher-ups at work, but what it lacks in pimp factor it makes up for with personality, value, and a more chiseled and muscular body than an I35. What I try to do is always keep it impeccably shiny and clean at all times, and the wheels super-shiny to make the car stand out more.

Will

Number of posts : 88
Registration date : 2008-03-21

http://www.openroadwellness.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Hossmaxima Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:51 pm

Well said Will Smile

Hossmaxima

Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2008-03-23

Back to top Go down

Post by MarkhamMax Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:15 pm

Indeed well said Will. Of course, you know by reading between the lines of what I wrote I elude to the G35 as being my ultimate choice. What I wanted to hear was arguments for or against the 6th gen to weigh your own opinions versus my own.
There are things I have to weigh in order to come out of this having made the right decision... for me. This includes price i.e. saving a few grand for essentially the same car, FWD vs RWD, safety, mechanical reliability between the two, etc...

Feel free to keep the comments coming.
MarkhamMax
MarkhamMax
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Will Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:01 pm

Yes, more comments from me. I would choose the G35 because the cost differential is relatively small vs. the Maxima, and it's high-time that you buy something that has a thunderous combination of power and a high degree of luxury like the G (the 3rd gen did in its heyday, but not by today's standards anymore Sad).

I don't know if you'd want a 6-sp exclusively or not, but Richie is getting bored of his 2003 and may want to dump it.

Will

Back to top Go down

Post by MarkhamMax Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:47 am

Will wrote:Yes, more comments from me. I would choose the G35 because the cost differential is relatively small vs. the Maxima, and it's high-time that you buy something that has a thunderous combination of power and a high degree of luxury like the G (the 3rd gen did in its heyday, but not by today's standards anymore Sad).

I don't know if you'd want a 6-sp exclusively or not, but Richie is getting bored of his 2003 and may want to dump it.

Yeah I'd prefer a 6MT, especially in a RWD. Admittedly there are days when I'd prefer the auto (read: commuting at a snail pace in traffic), but I am a control freak ultimately and appreciate the merits of engine braking given my penchant for driving aggressively (at times).
And it's true what you say with regard to today's standards. Just the heated steering wheel alone keeps the Maxima a very real contender. Can't believe they didn't include that on the G35.
MarkhamMax
MarkhamMax
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by knight_yyz Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:35 am

Personally I like the looks of the 6th gen outside. BUT it is far too heavy, and I'm not a fan of the interior. I don't like the gauges and again the lack/rarity of a 6mt is a major downfall as far as I am concerned.

MM you mentioned that the G has a low resale value. You should amend that statement. All nissan vehicles have a low resale value. I'm not sure why though.

knight_yyz

Number of posts : 231

Back to top Go down

Post by 03maximase Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:45 am

knight_yyz wrote:Personally I like the looks of the 6th gen outside. BUT it is far too heavy, and I'm not a fan of the interior. I don't like the gauges and again the lack/rarity of a 6mt is a major downfall as far as I am concerned.

MM you mentioned that the G has a low resale value. You should amend that statement. All nissan vehicles have a low resale value. I'm not sure why though.

I think Ray got it right here..all the Nissans/Infinitis seem to have very low resale value and I have no idea why. They start out pretty expensive in comparison to the competition (Honda, Toyota, Mazda) but within 2yrs drop like crazy.I know that in terms of performance and in most cases, luxury, Nissan takes the cake, but there must be something that drops the value so much. When I was looking for a car, I was looking to spend 15-16k on a 2003 maxima se 6spd, but if I wanted to get into an 03 accord with similar features, I'd easily be hitting 23-24k (with no reason other than its a Honda).

Back onto topic though, I personally am not too big of a fan of the 6th gen. It's just too big for my liking. I think my 5.5 is pushing it in terms of how large of a car I'd drive, I'll really think twice before buying such a long car that has terrible turning radius. As it stands right now, I like the look of my 5.5 over the 6th gens, if you have it mildly modded and clean, it looks great, whereas I have not seen any extremely appealing 6th gens anywhere.. If I were in the market for a car right now, I would not choose a 6th gen over a good condition 5.5, but would take a G over the 5.5. The G (preferrably coupe) would definitely be one of my choices, but to be honest, the gas consumption completely ruins any 3.5 for me. If it came down to a purchase strictly between the G or 6th gen Maxima, I'd go with the G with AWD..despite the fact that the max has the heated steering wheel, I think the AWD factor makes the G much more practical..even if it has to be automatic. Basically, I'd have a list similar to yours but I'd scrap the 6th gen..it hasn't grown on my enough, even though I consider the 07 models reasonable looking..

03maximase

Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2008-04-09

Back to top Go down

Post by MarkhamMax Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:56 pm

I can agree with most of that. Of course, our needs are obviously different. Short of getting in to a Minivan, or a Murano type vehicle - size is what I am after with a baby in the back seat now. This was why the 6th gen makes my list. It also fared extremely well in crash tests (better than a 5.5 gen). And then, versus the G35, it can be had a few grand cheaper.
That said, the G still tops my list, but I need to justify it soundly and without hesitation. Not so easy when you can get a fully loaded minivan that's only like 2 years old loaded to the tits with DVD and all the bells and whistles for like -- half.
Damn, you minivan!!
MarkhamMax
MarkhamMax
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Will Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:19 pm

MarkhamMax wrote:I can agree with most of that. Of course, our needs are obviously different. Short of getting in to a Minivan, or a Murano type vehicle - size is what I am after with a baby in the back seat now. This was why the 6th gen makes my list. It also fared extremely well in crash tests (better than a 5.5 gen). And then, versus the G35, it can be had a few grand cheaper.
That said, the G still tops my list, but I need to justify it soundly and without hesitation. Not so easy when you can get a fully loaded minivan that's only like 2 years old loaded to the tits with DVD and all the bells and whistles for like -- half.
Damn, you minivan!!

I think you should get the G. Just cuz you're a daddy, doesn't mean you don't have the right to have fun!

Hell, I'm considering dumping my car for a Lexus after finding more tiny tiny rust spots this weekend after washing in all random places. Unacceptable for a 5 year old car.

Will

Back to top Go down

Post by MarkhamMax Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:55 pm

Will wrote:
MarkhamMax wrote:I can agree with most of that. Of course, our needs are obviously different. Short of getting in to a Minivan, or a Murano type vehicle - size is what I am after with a baby in the back seat now. This was why the 6th gen makes my list. It also fared extremely well in crash tests (better than a 5.5 gen). And then, versus the G35, it can be had a few grand cheaper.
Damn, you minivan!!

I think you should get the G. Just cuz you're a daddy, doesn't mean you don't have the right to have fun!

Hell, I'm considering dumping my car for a Lexus after finding more tiny tiny rust spots this weekend after washing in all random places. Unacceptable for a 5 year old car.

I hear ya man. But you should see the size of strollers these days affraid lol.
MarkhamMax
MarkhamMax
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jbeau Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:35 am

Shaun...G37 is coupe only.. sedans are still G35..

I would go G35 of course MM.. the 6th gen is just not nearly the car the G is.. especially as the G owners see how nice the new ones are and move up to an 07/08 and selling the older ones off..

jbeau

Number of posts : 34

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathan Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:50 am

What about a Camry? Those new ones in white with the lip kits look hot!

If you still want to stay within the Nissan family, I say G35 all the way! The 6th gen aren't appealing to me (even modded), they look massive and aren't rwd. And like others said, they aren't much more than max's in the used car market.

Are you buying your car locally or have you thought of buying one from the US?

Nathan

Number of posts : 136
Registration date : 2008-03-20

Back to top Go down

Post by MarkhamMax Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:43 pm

I'm not really interested in importing from the U.S. I don't see any advantage really, other than perhaps no salt on the cars from south, which is certainly a bonus. But the added cost of importing and the paperwork, plus there not being much difference in retail pricing between the US/CAN doesn't have me looking outside of Ontario.
MarkhamMax
MarkhamMax
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 92RustBucket Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:25 am

I wouldn't worry too much about strollers. I had to fit a double stroller and double everything else and the 3rd gen was a fine size.
Besides, 2 years down the line she'll be walking everywhere and won't need it.
Don't get a minivan!!
But if you must, Honda vans are quite nice
Get a G homie

92RustBucket

Number of posts : 139

Back to top Go down

Post by Mikesima Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:34 pm

As a 6th gen owner i say fuck what the community says. I love you guys, but people hate on the car because it fashionable and all the complaints amount to subjective nit picking anyway. 5 years from now, the cars are gonna be getting lots of love from the kiddies.

I say a big fuckin whoop-de-doo to it all....if you like it and the size, options, price etc suit you're needs. Buy it. If you're worried about what other people think, well, people love this car..any passenger I've ever had almost laughs when they see another gen maxima and usually make a comment like "wow, they've come along way".

But they don't know shit anyway, i love all the maxima gens for different reasons...so does it really matter?

Get what "you" like. But just remember...6th gens look nastiest in Black Wink

-a 6th gen owner Twisted Evil

Last edited by Mikesima on Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

Mikesima

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2008-06-18

Back to top Go down

Post by MarkhamMax Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:25 pm

Well put Mike.
MarkhamMax
MarkhamMax
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ghost Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:04 am

+1 MM, and Mike I have to say very well said, each gen of Maxima is very unique in it's own way after all that's what makes them Maxima's the true 4 door sports car not to mention one buys a car because they enjoy it and it's looks and the thoughts of what on lookers might say I don't think it has ever entered my mind when purchasing a car.

Do you have any 6th Gen love? NewTagAni

2003 Sterling Mist /Llumar tint 20%/20%/20% /Racingline FSTB
/Knight Custom Air Intake /*17 Timing Advance /HID Super Plazma Xenon Bulb Fog lamps
/2x10 Rockford Fosgate Subs & 1000w amp. /Falken ZE912 235/50/17 OEM rims /Budget B pipe & Resonator/ LED underbody Lighting
Ghost
Ghost

Number of posts : 207
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post by NozMaximus Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:20 am

Yea MM, in the end you need to get what fits your bill. As much as I dislike the 6th GEN, in your situation, I would take it any day over a minivan... Suspect Plus with a baby, you don't want to be slippidy sliding around in winter in a RWD G. The Pathfinder-like ground clearance on the Maxima will get you places on those crazy snowy days. The 4th GEN and its stock lifter kit was a dream this winter. My only obstacles were stuck BMWs and Pickup Trucks...lol

NozMaximus

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2008-03-20

Back to top Go down

Post by MarkhamMax Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:27 pm

NozMaximus wrote:The Pathfinder-like ground clearance on the Maxima will get you places on those crazy snowy days.

lol Noz you kill me Razz
MarkhamMax
MarkhamMax
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jbeau Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:39 pm

hey try driving my Cherokee.. My new sticker will read...."THIS VEHICLE MISTAKES SMALL CARS FOR SPEED BUMPS"

jbeau

Number of posts : 34

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next